Many provider groups are suddenly realizing they need to understand how a Medicare risk model will impact their operations and revenues. With CMS pushing providers to embrace Alternative Payment Model (APM) risk models under Proposed MACRA Rules, they should be nervous. Although prior APMs such as ACOs did not approach the levels of risk under MACRA (most had zero risk in the first year), most were unsuccessful in reaching targeted savings.
Lessons learned from ACOs will help groups make better decisions about how to manage costs, performance improvement, referrals outside the network and provider recruitment. Here are some key posts from the past year that should help provider organizations understand how to steer clear of important root causes of ACO failure:
- If Your Solution to PQRS Reporting Is an ACO, Think Again 4-5-16
- Expanding Your ACO: The Best Recruiting Strategy for Bigger ACO Savings 12-15-15
- Don’t Let Wishful Thinking and Healthy Patients Harm Your ACO 12-1-15
- Break the Barriers to ACO Shared Savings 10-20-15
- ACOs and the Referral Revolution Part 2: How to Align Objectives and Referral Practices 8-4-15
Founded in 2002, ICLOPS has pioneered data registry solutions for improving patient health. Our industry experts provide comprehensive Solutions that help you both report and improve your performance. ICLOPS is a CMS Qualified Clinical Data Registry.
Image Credit: Richard Dudley